Volunteer to support newcomer refugee individuals and families, as they rebuild their lives with support from Church World Service. Church World Service Jersey City provides direct services to groups of hundreds of refugees annually and volunteer support is beneficial for client integration. Refugees are resettled into our communities with minimal English training, limited familiarity with U.S. culture, and limited financial resources. Their resettlement process is complex, but CWS Jersey City hopes to relieve this pressure through support and a path to self-sufficiency. Volunteers also help assist in this process though induvial and group opportunities! If you are interested in volunteering, please fill out this form. Please email email@example.com for more information. See below for specific volunteer opportunities with CWS Jersey City.
- Apartment Set-Ups: Assist CWS Jersey City’s Housing Team prepare new homes for newly arrived refugee families. Many families are resettled within Jersey City and Hudson County, and we need your help in making these apartments a home! Click here to submit an interest form.
- Store Shift: Sign up for a CWS Jersey City “Store Shift.” CWS Jersey City gives all clients and community members access to our free “store” located within walking distance from our office. The store gives clients the opportunity every day to shop for clothing, housing ware, furniture, and hygiene products. Click here if you are interested in volunteering for a shift with our store manager!
- Tutoring: Hundreds of young adults are resettled in their new communities and brought to schools with an unfamiliar education system. Many students also need English language assistance from native English speaker. Submit an interest form here to support refugee students assimilate to their new schools!
- Moving Help: Our clients are not only resettled in their new communities, but often have to move within New Jersey with their families. Volunteers are needed to help assist with moving and driving client items to their new homes. Click here to assist with moving help and offset the stress of moving day!
- Attend a brief training via Zoom to learn about refugee resettlement and CWS JC
- Complete a background check